Saints Academy comfortably beat Widnes

St.Helens U18s picked up their first points of the season with a dominant 48-10 win against the Widnes Vikings at the DCBL Stadium on Sunday.

It took 13 minutes for the first points of the game. Saints had possession close to the Vikings line, a good cut-out pass found Reece Sumner and the second rower strolled through the gap to give his side the lead. Shay Martyn added the extra two to make it 6-0.

Five minutes later the Vikings situation worsened. Jacob Dugdale committed a professional foul as Saints broke and was sent to the sin bin. The visitors thought they had made the most of the man advantage as Harvey McDaid flew over in the left corner, but the touch judge ruled that he had gone into touch. The hosts then had a try ruled out of their own. A high kicked was mis-judged by St Helens and Widnes pounced on the loose ball, however the referee ruled a knock on as they went to ground the ball and Saints survived.

A strong end to the half saw the Red Vee score two tries in the last six minutes. Firstly, Kian Naylor somehow forced his way over to the right of the sticks despite the Vikings’ best efforts to hold the second rower up. Then shortly before the hooter Taylor Pemberton kicked a high bomb to the right-hand side and Shay Martyn patted the ball backwards for Rio Corkill, who then sprinted towards the sticks to increase the lead. Martyn converted both tries to make it 18-0 at the break.

Twelve minutes into the second half Saints scored their fourth try of the game. Lewis Baxter made a great break down the middle of the field, he passed to Ethan Bradbury on his inside and he sprinted towards the line. Martyn once again added the extra two for 24-0. Three minutes later, Baxter got a try of his own. Daniel Moss made a break down the left-hand side, he then saw Baxter on his inside and the loose forward grounded the ball underneath the sticks. Martyn maintained his 100% record to make it 30-0.

Widnes then recorded their first try of the game in the 63rd minute. Ryan Barnes collected an offload as St.Helens thought they had a tackle wrapped up and he made the most of it, stretching over from close range to score. James Murray added the extra two, 30-6.

That didn’t stop the Saints though. Pemberton with a solo effort close to the Vikings line and he stretched out to increase the lead. Martyn added the extra two again, 36-6.

Once again, Widnes fought back. Jacob Dugdale making up for his yellow card earlier on by going through a gap on the redvee’s right-hand side. Murray missed the conversion second time around, 36-10.

Two late tries from the visitor’s ensured that they would get their first two points of the season though. Firstly, Harvey McDaid scored underneath the sticks after being denied earlier on in the game, before interchange Cole Appleby powered his way over from close range, as Saints emerged victorious in Widnes. Martyn converted both which meant he kicked all eight conversions during the game.

Match Summary

Widnes Team – Daniel Hill, Michael Cosgrove, Leighton Hesketh, Reece Storey, Niall Smith, Connor Goldthorpe, James Murray, Cameron Reilly, Jacob Dugdale, Robbie Ascroft, Reece McConville, Connor Burgess, James Whalley

Interchanges – Ryan Barnes, Ryan Lockett, Evan Hughes, Daniel Brewin

Tries – Ryan Barnes (63), Jacob Dugdale (69)

Conversions – James Murray (1 from 2)

Saints Team – Jonathan Bennison, Harvey McDaid, Rio Corkill, Owen Blackwood, Shay Martyn, Taylor Pemberton, Daniel Moss, Jamie Pye, Ethan Bradbury, Harry Brooks, Kian Naylor, Reece Sumner, Lewis Baxter

Interchanges – Joseph Woods, Zack Lee, Ben O’Donnell, Cole Appleby

Tries – Reece Sumner (13), Kian Naylor (34), Rio Corkill (39), Ethan Bradbury (52), Lewis Baxter (55), Taylor Pemberton (66), Harvey McDaid (74), Cole Appleby (79)

Conversions – Shay Martyn (8 from 8)

HT: 0-18

FT: 10-48