Saints Fell Giants

SAINTS are back up to third after a comfortable 46-12 win over Huddersfield Giants.

A five-try first half blitz was orchestrated by Lance Hohaia, Jonny Lomax and Josh Perry, and backed up with three more in the second half.

The visitors showed periods of what made them so red-hot at the beginning of the season – but it wasn’t enough as Saints were too tenacious in defence to continue their sparkling run of form.

The home side led 28-12 at half time after running in five tries and looking in total control.

Tommy Makinson, Jonny Lomax and Francis Meli put the home side on the front foot before Keith Mason replied.

But further tries from Lance Hohaia and Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook echoed Saints domination of first 40 minutes.

The Giants closed the door In the second half but Saints broke the stalemate with further tries from Anthony Laffranchi and James Roby.

Paul Wellens then capped off a good performance late on.

Saints made one change from the side that beat Catalans – Mark Flanagan coming in for the suspended Tony Puletua whilst the Huddersfield team saw a number of changes from the side that were humbled by Wakefield.

Both sides played out their sets well in the opening five minutes before Lance Hohaia unlocked the defence.

He sidestepped through the rearguard and the ball was sent right for Tommy Makinson to sneak over.

Less than a minute later Jonny Lomax looked to have been taken out as he chased a ball, but the video referee correctly ruled a knock on after the ball bounced in the in-goal area.

He wasn’t to be denied on 14 minutes though, dashing through the defence to increase the lead – Makinson converting.

Saints next try came with thanks to a little bit of class from Wellens and Perry.

Lomax sent up a high ball, Wellens caught it under pressure, offloaded to the big Australian prop who sent a great long pass out to Francis Meli for his 14th of the season.

But Keith Mason replied within seconds after Danny Brough worked a move from the scrum.

Hohaia reset the advantage immediately – converted by Makinson – to give Saints a 22-6 lead after 25 minutes.

And Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook was next on the score sheet with a superb bulldozing run.

But with less than ten minutes to go Scott Grix pulled one back to punish poor kick defence from Saints.

Saints lead 28-12 at the break and were good value for that – but it took 20 minutes before they scored again.

They knocked at the door a couple of times and finally Anthony Laffranchi flew over.

James Roby added another with 15 minutes to go and Wellens was too strong to get his 17th of the season as the match entered its final stages.

Match Summary:

Tries: Makinson, Lomax, Meli, Hohaia, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Laffranchi, Roby, Wellens
Goals: Makinson (7 from 8)

Tries: Mason, Grix
Goals: Brough (2 from 2)

Saints: 8
Giants: 2

HT: 28-12
FT: 46-12

REF: James Child

ATT: 14070



1. Paul Wellens; 21. Tommy Makinson, 3. Michael Shenton, 26. Josh Jones, 5. Francis Meli; 6. Lance Hohaia, 7. Jonny Lomax; 8. Josh Perry, 9. James Roby, 14. Anthony Laffranchi, 13. Chris Flannery, 4. Sia Soliola, 12. Jon Wilkin.
Subs: 10. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 15. Mark Flanagan 16. Paul Clough, 19. Andy Dixon.


29. Greg Eden; 3. Leroy Cudjoe, 2. Michael Lawrence, 4. Lee Gilmour, 20. Luke George; 1. Scott Grix, 7. Danny Brough; 8. Eorl Crabtree, 9. Luke Robinson, 10. Keith Mason, 36. Brett Ferres, 18. Jason Chan, 12. David Fa’alogo.
Subs: 13. David Faiumu, 15. Larne Patrick, 19. Tommy Lee, 35. Scott Moore.

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders