Second Half Lets U19s Down

The U19s ended their regular season in disappointing fashion losing 30-22 at home to Warrington after throwing away a 12 point lead in a dismal second half performance, writes Graham Henthorne.

Everything had started extremely well with Lewis Galbraith scoring after only 90 seconds. The Wolves knocked on bringing the ball away from their line and four tackles later the winger was gathering a deft grubber from Dom Speakman and walking the tightrope in the in-goal area to improve the position.

Five minutes later and Chris Webster was charging over the line under the sticks unopposed to increase the lead. His try came courtesy of a fabulous 40/20 from the departing Danny Yates playing his last game before joining UTC in Southern France, and a superb miss pass from Speakman.

The Saints were dominant at this point but the visitors showed a glimpse of what was to come as they scored in their first time in the Saints half.

Adam Saunders reinstated the 12 point lead at quarter time as he popped up at just the right time to take Connor Dwyer’s great offload to score.

The Saints had largely controlled matters but hadn’t made the advantage count on the scoreboard.

This came back to haunt them as the Wolves took advantage of a mounting penalty count to score courtesy of a dubious try from a high kick which appeared to have been knocked into Ben Parry by the scorer.

The goal was missed but the Wolves bombed a certain try just before the break as the final pass drifted forward. The visitors started the second half in the same way the Saints had started the first scoring twice in quick succession to take the lead.

The Saints were struggling for direction but almost drew level on the hour as Ben Parry was pushed into touch just inches from the line.

The game was still in the balance as it entered the final 15 minutes. Dom Speakman made a great break arcing his way through the line to the full back, but with Yates in support inside his inside ball hit the deck and the chance was lost.

Two Wolves tries took the game away from the Saints and a late Joe Ryan effort was scant consolation.

The quartet of Greg Richards, Chris Webster, Connor Dwyer and James Tilley tried hard but in truth there was little to write home about.

After the opening 15 – 20 minutes the Saints never really looked at the races and will have to drastically improve if they are to progress in the play-offs past a Hull FC side which beat them recently on Humberside. The game is at Langtree Park next Saturday with a 12 noon kick off.

Match Summary:

Tries: Adam Saunders, Lewis Galbraith, Chris Webster, Joe Ryan.
Goals: Lewis Charnock 3.

Tries: Scott Turner 2, Toby King, Declan Patton, Daniel Murray, Joe Philbin.
Goals: Scott Turner 3.

Half Time: 18-10
Full Time: 22-30

20. Adam Saunders; 2. Lewis Galbraith, 4. Jack Ashworth, 3. Matty Fleming, 5. Ben Parry; 6. Lewis Charnock, 7. Danny Yates; 8. Greg Richards, 9. Dom Speakman, 10. Chris Webster, 11. Olly Davies, 12. Connor Dwyer, 13. James Tilley.
Subs: 14. Matty Fozard, 15. Alex Clare, 17. Joe Ryan, 21. Adam Hesketh.

32. James Saltonstall; 57. Scott Turner, 52. Will Milner, 49. Toby King, 42. Jake Eccleston; 65. Louis Jouffret, 54. Declan Patton; 33. Gavin Bennion, 61. Andy Ackers, 53. Daniel Murray, 64. Jacque Peet, 55. Joe Philbin, 51. Ryan Maneely.
Subs: 47. Robert Holroyd, 56. Sean Kenny, 58. Tom Walker, 60. Sam Wilde.

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders