Last Gasp Try Tames Tigers

SAINTS continued their unbeaten start to the First Utility Super League with yet another last gasp finish.

Adam Swift took Jon Wilkins’ pass with two minutes to go to put his side ahead for the first time in the game – and secure a 30-28 victory.

More remarkable was that Saints were 24-6 down at half time and had a 14-point deficit to overcome in the last 15 minutes.

But they did with Jordan Turner and Paul Wellens – on a night of milestones for the captain – performing heroics before Swift’s oh so late killer blow.

The game looked gone at half time as Cas ran in four times to their opposition’s one.

The Tigers blitzed them from the off and led 18-0 within the first 18 minutes.

Sia Soliola replied but a mistake let Shenton back in for his second.

In the second half quick tries from Jonny Lomax and Tommy Makinson brought Saints right back into it.

But Justin Carney staunched the flow of points and seemingly moved the game in Cas’ favour.

Cometh the hour cometh the team though and in 15 breathtaking minutes Turner, Wellens – his 1000th point – and Swift sent the fans wild.

Pre-game, Saints made a number of changes from the team that progressed to the Fifth Round of the Challenge Cup.

Jon Wilkin returned from suspension to partner Luke Walsh in the halves, with Lance Hohaia being rested.

In the forwards, Mose Masoe started in place of the injured Kyle Amor and there was a welcome return for Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook too.

Joe Greenwood retained his place on the bench – alongside Paul Wellens who  played in his 414th Super League game and thus became the top flight’s leading appearance holder.

Their opposition welcomed back Craig Huby as they aimed to secure their first win over the Saints since 2008 – one record they almost broke.

And the Tigers couldn’t have got off to the better start when they scored from Wilkin’s knock on, right from the kick off.

Andy Lynch drove the ball in from the scrum to within inches of the line before the ball went left and Jake Webster profited.

Sneyd making it 6-0.

Moments later Cas were almost in again but the try was disallowed by the referee because Michael Shenton knocked on as he challenged for the ball in mid-air with Jordan Turner.

It was a warning Saints didn’t heed though as on the Tigers’ next attack a high ball went up to Justin Carney, he caught it under pressure fand fired out a very quick pass to Shenton who made no mistake.

Sneyd converting from the touchline.

A minute later  – in the 18th minute – it was 18-0.

The ball was chipped towards the post, it took a nastily little bounce and Grant Millington collected under the posts.

And in all fairness it could have been worse as three minutes later Craig Huby knocked on over the line.

Saints steadied the ship by forcing two drop outs and as a result were very slowly creating some momentum for themselves.

And that showed when a fantastic passage of play saw a pass catch Soliola on a great line.

Walsh converting.

But that hard work was undone when a poor pass from Jordan Turner went behind Makinson and was collected by Shenton for his second. 

Saints should have scored with the clock ticking down but their execution was found wanting.

Down 24-6, Saints needed to score quickly in the second half – but it was Cas who threatened first.

The ball came left through Sneyd and Finn but there was an obstruction and another try was chalked off.

Saints thankfully turned that good fortune into points.

Walsh combined with Jonny Lomax to set Josh Jones free, who duly turned it back inside for his full back to score.

And on 50 minutes it was game on.

Adam Swift intercepted a speculator and came inside to make sure Saints had good field position. From the tackle it went right and Tommy Makinson did what he does best – a spectacular one handed touchdown.

Carney replied with 20 minutes to go before Saints had one chalked off for a forward pass.

Turner then collected a high Wilkin bomb to score with around 15 to go before Saints recorded yet another wondrous comeback.

Wello’s 1000th point came after his teammates refused to give up and then, with less than three minutes remaining, he forced a repeat set.

Deja vu with Leeds and Huddersfield matches in the memory, they kept the ball alive and Wilkin’s pass to Swift was sublime – as was the finish.

The fans amassed in the Railway End went bonkers… and your Saints stay top of the tree.

Match Summary:


Tries: Webster, Shenton (2), Millington, Carney

Goals: Sneyd (4 from 5)


Tries: Soliola, Lomax, Makinson, Turner, Wellens, Swift

Goals: Walsh (3 from 6)


Tigers: 3

Saints: 5

HT: 6-24

FT: 30-28

REF: Ben Thaler

ATT:  6487



6. Luke Dorn; 24. James Clare, 4. Jake Webster, 3. Michael Shenton, 5. Justin Carney; 7. Marc Sneyd, 26. Liam Finn; 8. Andy Lynch, 14. Daryl Clark, 10. Craig Huby, 16. Oliver Holmes, 12. Weller Hauraki, 11. Grant Millington.

Subs: 9. Adam Milner, 13. Nathan Massey, 15. Ryan Boyle,  18. Frankie Mariano.


1. Jonny Lomax; 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Jordan Turner, 26. Matty Dawson, 5. Adam Swift; 12. Jon Wilkin, 7. Luke Walsh; 8. Mose Masoe, 9. James Roby, 10. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 11. Sia Soliola, 13. Willie Manu, 4. Josh Jones.

Subs: 14. Anthony Laffranchi, 17. Paul Wellens, 18. Alex Walmsley, 23. Joe Greenwood.

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders