Saints Fell Vikings

SAINTS produced a stirring second half comeback to beat Widnes 30-20.

Down 14-6 at half time they totally turned the tables with a dominant 20 minutes that saw them score 24 unanswered points.

The impressive Atelea Vea, Luke Thompson, Jordan Turner and Lance Hohaia all crossed to not only maintain their 100 per cent start to the season but return them to the top of the table.

It could have been much different after a poor start.

Two penalties piggybacked Widnes down the field and Eamon O’Carroll took the ball at pace to go under the sticks.

Danny Tickle converting.

Saints looked shellshocked but did exert some pressure on 10 minutes.

A repeat set had the Vikings scrambling and right on the last Lance Hohaia – deputising for the injured James Roby – darted over.

Cunningham’s men came again and another repeat set, after 20 minutes, saw some resolute defending keep them at bay.

Widnes repelled two attacks – with Jordan Turner going close on one – and then went ahead themselves.

Tommy Makinson made two try-saving tackles but left the field with concussion and as Saints reshuffled the ball came right for Patrick Ah Van to go over in the corner.

Stefan Marsh converted with Tickle off the pitch – and added a penalty with six minutes to go in the half too to give his side a 14-6 advantage.

Saints needed a big start to the second half and they got it when they won a set right off the kick-off.

Widnes were unable to field Travis Burns’ restart and had to drop out.

And Saints made no mistake with the golden opportunity as Wilkin’s kick was dropped by Patrick Ah Van on the last and Atelea Vea pounced on the loose ball.

Burns’ conversion making it a two-point game.

Saints turned the screw and two drop-outs ranked up enough pressure for them to go and ultimately stay ahead.

Burns worked hard around the ruck, caught Luke Thompson on a good line and the youngster showed remarkable strength to stretch over.

Saints’ next try was out of the top drawer. The ever impressive Vea broke the line and scampered down the field. Hohaia showed quick hands, Wilkin chimed in the line and Wellens put Turner over.

Made all the better by Burns’ conversion off the touchline.

And then Burns’ 40:20 set up the space for Hohaia’s second – the hooker using strength and guile to put down under immense pressure.

Matty Dawson chased down Danny Craven’s 70 metre break on 67 minutes to keep his line intact but Aaron Heremaia’s smashing try with three minutes to go took the gloss off a fine defensive performance.

Saints were more than good for the points though and continue their impressive campaign.

Match Summary:


Tries: O’Carroll, Ah Van, Heremaia

Goals: Tickle (1 from 1), Marsh (3 from 3)


Tries: Hohaia (2), Vea, Thompson, Turner

Goals: Burns (5 from 5)


Vikings: 8

Saints: 7

HT: 6-14

FT: 30- 20

REF: Robert Hicks

ATT: 7772



1. Rhys Hanbury; 2. Paddy Flynn, 14. Chris Dean, 3. Stefan Marsh, 5. Patrick Ah Van; 27. Grant Gore, 7. Joe Mellor; 19. Ben Kavanagh, 33. Aaron Heremaia, 8. Eamon O’Carroll, 11. Danny Galea, 17. Chris Clarkson, 12. Danny Tickle.

Subs: 21. Danny Craven, 24. Macgraff Leuluai, 25. Alex Gerrard, 35. Gil Dudson. 


20. Paul Wellens; 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Jordan Turner, 4. Josh Jones, 5. Adam Swift; 6. Travis Burns, 12. Jon Wilkin; 14. Alex Walmsley, 16. Lance Hohaia, 19. Greg Richards, 21. Joe Greenwood, 11. Atelea Vea, 18. Luke Thompson.

Subs: 8. Mose Masoe, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 22. Matty Dawson, 25. Andre Savelio.

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders