Saints Felled By Robins

SAINTS are still seeking their first league win at Hull KR since 2007 after an agonising 24-22 loss on Friday night.

Although they dominated in terms of possession and set completion – for at least an hour – the Robins took full advantage of their chances.

Tries from Jon Wilkin and Tommy Makinson had Saints just four points down at half time.

But the home side kicked on through Kieran Dixon and the trusty boot of Josh Mantellato.

Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook’s try set up a barnstorming final five minutes and when Jordan Turner put down with seconds to go it was left for Travis Burns to attempt to level it up.

But the conversion went just side.

Lance Hohaia came into the starting line-up for the league leaders in place of the injured Paul Wellens at full back whilst Mark Flanagan returned at 13.

Hull KR have had an injury crisis of late and were down to their last fit two props and a half back playing in the second row.

Saints got the game underway with a strong set before a shoulder charge, off the ball, on Travis Burns, gave them a set in good territory.

Keiron Cunningham’s men probed and on the last Wilkin chipped through, got the ball back off a defender’s legs, and scored.

Burns stable enough to add the extras.

Saints came again but another stab through kick on the last was this time picked up by Albert Kelly and returned 90 metres for a try.

And on the 20 minute mark Kelly did the same, intercepting a long ball and scooting under the posts from 80 metres out.

Saints were rocked after being in control for the opening stages and they almost conceded again when Hull came up the field on the back of two penalties – Ken Sio unable to collect a wayward pass.

But on 27 minutes a Wilkin chip to the corner from bumbled, Vea collected and Makinson showed great feet to go over in the corner.

Saints survived a scare on the half hour mark as a try was chalked off for a knock on and then they lost James Roby to a head knock.

And they should have finished the half level but they failed to deal with a high ball and Sio made it 16-12 to the home side at half time.

Mantellato missed a penalty attempt early in the second half and then would’ve counted himself really unlucky not to score in the corner.

Saints continued to dominate in terms of possession but Mantellato took the lead out to six points on 55 minutes with a penalty.

He added another on the hour mark and then Kieran Dixon went over to take the game seemingly out of reach.

Saints tried to get back into it but were guilty of going a little lateral until they broke down the left hand side.

Swift dummied when perhaps he should have passed but LMS took Burns’ suspect pass to go over.

Jordan Turner then scored with seconds to go but Travis’ kick was just wide.

Cunningham said after the game that Hull were the better team but praised his side’s resilience once more.

Match Summary:

Hull KR:

Tries: Kelly (2), Sio, Dixon

Goals: Mantellato (4 from 6)


Tries: Wilkin, Makinson, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Turner

Goals: Burns (3 from 4)


Hull KR: 9

Saints: 7

HT: 12-16

FT: 22-24

REF: James Child



Hull KR: 

1. Kieran Dixon; 4. Josh Mantellato, 19. Kris Welham, 3. Darrell Goulding, 5. Ken Sio; 23. Terry Campese, 7. Albert Kelly; 8. Adam Walker, 31. Shaun Lunt, 20. James Green, 12. Graeme Horne,   6. Maurice Blair, 13. Tyrone McCarthy.

Subs: 11. Kevin Larroyer, 15. James Donaldson, 21. Aaron Ollett, 24. John Boudebza.


16. Lance Hohaia; 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Jordan Turner, 22. Matty Dawson, 5. Adam Swift; 6. Travis Burns, 12. Jon Wilkin; 14. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Kyle Amor, 11. Atelea Vea, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 15. Mark Flanagan.

Subs: 4. Josh Jones, 8. Mose Masoe, 18. Luke Thompson, 19. Greg Richards. 

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders