Reserves Beat Warriors

IN their first outing in seven years the Saints produced a sparkling display to overwhelm their rivals 38-14, writes Graham Henthorne.

Using the Reserves system as it was intended, Saints gave vital game time to first team members Travis Burns and Joe Greenwood and five debuts to ‘overage’ players who they want to look at with a view to the future.

It looked like it would an early Valentine’s Day massacre the wrong way in the first ten minutes as the visitors took advantage of some silly penalties to go ten in front.

But the introduction of Levy Nzoungou from the bench gave the Saints pack a second surge of energy that proved too much.

Four tries in a sparkling thirteen minute spell well and truly took the game away from the visitors.

Jake Spedding was the first Saints Reserve to score points in this incarnation showing a clean pair of heels to finish in the corner. Danny Richardson’s kick had elicited a repeat set and intelligent play from Tommi Hughes committing his opposite number gave Spedding the space.

Then came a cameo from Nzoungou of all that is the Frenchman. His powerful run at Lee Mossop wasn’t taken too kindly producing a penalty and from the restart the big Frenchman ran hard again deep into the line.

From the play the ball Richardson jinked his way through the line taking it to the full back before feeding Jack Ashworth on his left and the big second row slid over for the tying score.

Then came the try of the game. A deep kick on the last was well taken at his toes by Ricky Bailey, who looked back to his best at full back. He got up, immediately moved to his left and seeing the centre closing in fed it out to Regan Grace on his own 10 metre line. He took it 30 metres then took his opposite number on on the outside, beating him in only three metres of space, before speeding the final 50 metres to the left corner taunting the covering winger into chasing him down. Worth the admission money on its own!

On the half hour the Saints scored their fourth try and yet another long range effort. Calvin Wellington showed his improved poise beating two defenders on the inside. He passed inside to Bailey who took it on 20, fed Burns who ghosted through the line to the full back before giving it to Richardson to speed to the line to finish another great handling move.

The visitors got within eight at the break as the Saints markers fell asleep at a play the ball in the left corner.

The call at half time was more of the same with less piggybacking penalties. We got the first but unfortunately the penalty count still favoured the visitors finishing at 14 to 7.

However, the Saints made light work of it putting the game to bed with two tries in the first ten minutes.

Good drives from Tony Suffolk and Nzoungou laid the platform for the ball to be spread left where quick hands from Bailey and especially Wellington gave Grace space to vault in for his brace.

Duggy Charnock’s good run and quick play the ball gave Aaron Smith the space he needed to make 30 metres down the heart of the visitors tiring forwards. Dave Llewellyn was held short before Bailey again proved kingmaker putting Ashworth in for his brace.

The final 30 minutes got a bit scrappy as the Saints made yet more substitutions, trying people and combinations out but the team unity stood out as a big hit from Jonah Cunningham on Mossop felled the big prop who again took exception but all rallied round in the ensuing melee refusing to be pushed around.

The final act was left to Olly Davies who did better in his second spell, charging onto a great grubber from Burns and beating the full back to the touch.

Suffolk and Llewellyn did exactly what was envisaged of them giving some solidity and maturity to what at sometimes was a very young and inexperienced side.

There were encouraging debuts from both Tommi Hughes and Tom Connick and our second European recruit Mikus Ozols ran hard showing some glimpses of his potential when he can get fitter.

Greenwood and Ashworth showed their potency out wide, the link up of Smith and Cunningham with Richardson and Burns gave the opposition so much to think about and with the likes of Wellington, Grace and Bailey to swoop into the line, the Saints’ attack looked really sharp.

Match Summary:


Tries: Jake Spedding (18), Jack Ashworth 2 (25 & 49), Regan Grace 2 (27 & 46), Danny Richardson (31), Olly Davies (72).

Goals: Travis Burns 4, Lewis Charnock.


Tries: Liam Marshall 2 (11 & 36), Joe Bretherton (3).

Goals: Nick Gregson.

Half Time: 22-14

Full Time: 38-14



1. Ricky Bailey; 2. Jake Spedding, 3. Tommi Hughes, 4. Calvin Wellington, 5. Regan Grace; 6. Travis Burns, 7. Danny Richardson; 22. Tony Suffolk, 9. Jonah Cunningham, 10. Olly Davies, 12. Joe Greenwood, 11. Jack Ashworth, 13. Lewis Charnock.

Subs: 8. Levy Nzoungou, 14. Aaron Smith, 15. Tom Connick, 16. Liam Cooper, 18. Mikus Ozols, 19. Ross McCauley, 20. Dave Llewellyn.


1. Gabriel Fell; 5. Liam Marshall, 3. Oliver Gildart, 4. Liam Paisley, 2. Tom Davies; 6. Nick Gregson, 7. Josh Woods; 8. Joe Bretherton, 9. Josh Ganson, 10. Lee Mossop, 22. Jack Wells, 20. Macauley Davies, 13. Kyle Shelford.

Subs: 14. Craig Mullen, 15. Max Dudley, 16. Sammy Kibula, 17. Sam Brady, 19. Caine Barnes,

21. Callum Field, 23. Tyler Spence.

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders