Highlights & Full match replay: Scholars round 7 – Saints vs Wakefield

Watch the free highlights as our scholarship side took on Wakefield at the Totally Wicked Stadium looking to get back to winning ways following our loss last time out against Warrington.

Just two minutes into the game the Saints put themselves ahead with a try. After receiving the ball from kick-off, the ball was worked to halfway, where Louie Roberts broke down the left on the third tackle and was supported up the middle from George Whitby who went over to score the first of the game. He converted his own try from right in front giving the Saints the lead, 6-0.

Eight minutes later a penalty for offside allowed the Saints to start an attack on the trinity line 40 out. On the last tackle the ball was played left down the short side where Robertson shaped to pass back inside before going left giving a cut out ball to Deacon Swarbrick who grounded the ball despite the efforts of Wakefield to keep him held up. Whitby missed the kick from out wide, 10-0.

But with 17 minutes on the clock it was Wakefield who responded with a try of their own. After going close twice in the set, they shifted the ball right where Owen Parsons found Oliver McCraw with the ball to dive over in the corner. Parsons converted from the sideline to reduce the Saints lead to 10-6.

But after an error from Wakefield following their try, Saints replied pretty quickly. A knock on just inside their own half presented Saints with a brilliant opportunity, which was taken when Harry Robertson broke the line from the scrum play and raced away to score in the left corner again. Whitby missed from out wide, 14-6.

With 28 minutes gone, a brilliant dummy from Whitby saw him break the line 30 metres out from the Trinity line, where he drew in the full back and delivered the ball to Callum Cottington supporting up the middle to go over and score after just coming on. Whitby converted from right in front to end the scoring for the first half, 20-6.

Five minutes after the break, the Saints continued where they left off, when Ellis Anderson got the ball and burst through the Wakefield tackle attempts, to run away from 30 metres out to score in the left corner. Whitby converted the try from the left, 26-6.

But Wakefield responded straight away, after charging down Whitby’s kick on halfway Wakefield got the ball, despite his efforts to get back and get the ball first, he dove on the ball and lost possession. A few tackles later after getting on the Saints line, Harvey Smith dove over right on the line from dummy half to score, and with Parsons knocking over the two from right in front the score went to 26-12.

The Saints got back to their scoring ways in the 62nd minute when ‘deja vu’ struck for Cottington when Whitby dummied the line from 30 metres out to find that man Cottington back in the middle supporting the play to score under the posts, getting the forward a double. Whitby converts from in-front, 32-12.

Four minutes later some great work from Ellis Anderson saw him beat 3 defenders before weaving back inside and then out, before finding an offload to winger Rocco Talbot-Piggott who dived over in the corner. Whitby’s conversion came off the inside of the left post and went over, 38-12.

The tries kept on coming for the Saints, with another coming in the 70th minute when Jamie O’Keeffe broke the Wakefield defence in the middle of the field to go and score under the posts after coming on. Whitby converted from in-front to increase the lead further, 44-12.

With two minutes to go William Cowen barged his way over from close range following a strong drive to the line to extend the Saints lead. Whitby converted from close range, 50-12.

The final play of the game saw it end how it started, with Saints going over for a try. Cole Marsh broke from dummy half, feeding the ball to Roberts in support who gave the ball back inside to Marsh who went away to score under the posts. Whitby converted to end the game and take the final score to 56-12, and see the Scholars end their home season with a win!

Match Summary

Saints team: Louie Roberts, Rocco Talbot-Piggott, Ellis Anderson, Keane Elms, Daniel Hill, Harry Robertson, George Whitby, Morgan Barraclough Watson, Cole Marsh, Liam Smethurst, Harry Rigby, William Cowen, Jake Davies.

Bench: Keagan Allibone, Dan Frost, Deacon Swarbrick, Jamie O’Keeffe, Callum Cottington.

Tries: Callum Cottington (2), Rocco Talbot-Piggott, Ellis Anderson, Harry Robertson, George Whitby, Cole Marsh, William Cowen, Deacon Swarbrick, Jamie O’Keeffe.

Goals: George Whitby (8 from 10).

Wakefield team: Tom Oxley, Oliver McCraw, Ewan Molyneux, Dominic Sinfield, Samuel Mackenzie, Edward Hunter, Owen Parsons, Will McCardle, Harvey Smith, Max Sheard, Cain Staveley-Carr, Finnley Thompson, Ashton Winks.

Bench: Charlie Harrison, James Astin, Jack Easton, Naoh Crawshaw, Ethan Barnes.

Tries: Oliver McCraw, Harvey Smith.

Goals: Owen Parsons (2 from 2).

Half-time: 20-6

Full-time: 56-12


If you’re not already a Saints TV subscriber, join today by clicking HERE. Saints TV is available from £5.99/month where you will enjoy a 7 day FREE trial.

Our best value is our Annual Subscription costing just £69.99 or Members can enjoy this at the discounted rate of £49.99 by typing your membership number in the Coupon Box at the top of the Billing Page. Annual subscribers will also receive a FREE 30 day trial and you can cancel at anytime.

Principal Club Partners

O'Neills logo
LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders