Saints beat Hull KR to strengthen grip on first place!

Saints are now one win from winning the League Leaders’ Shield after beating Hull KR 38-12 at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Friday evening.

Saints took an early lead as Hull KR dropped the ball with the first play of the game and Saints kept the ball alive from the restart as Tommy Makinson offloaded to Konrad Hurrell before the Robins were caught offside which gave Saints the chance to take two early points. Makinson took those two points on offer just to the right of the sticks, 2-0.

The lead was increased six minutes later. Saints camped on the Rovers line and eventually threw the ball to our right edge as the returning Jack Welsby found Makinson in acres of space to cross over. Tommy added the extras from the right touchline, 8-0.

Our second almost came in the 17th minute. Makinson broke down the right wing again and kicked infield, a covering Hull KR defender kicked the ball out of Welsby’s path but it went back to Makinson who picked the ball up and headed for the try line, but he was just unable to ground the ball though as he reached out.

We wern’t to be denied for much longer though. Saints continued to burst forward and try number two came in the 21st minute. Once again the ball was worked to the right edge and Will Hopoate found Makinson to stroll in the corner. Makinson was unable to convert, 12-0.

Another Saints try followed. The ball was thrown to the left edge by Welsby and Jon Bennison broke down the left wing, he fed the ball back on his inside to the supporting Welsby and he won the race to the line to score. Makinson converted from in front, 18-0.

Saints had another penalty in front of the sticks with six minutes to go in the first half. After we forced a KR dropout, former Saint Lachlan Coote kicked the ball out on the full, we opted to take the two and Makinson converted to give us a 20-0 lead.

Saints forced a Robins goal-line dropout in the first few minutes of the second half as Coote was tackled by Makinson who was chasing his own kick. The resulting drop out didn’t go ten metres and Saints were awarded a penalty. A few tackles later Joey Lussick, who had come on for Hopoate at the break, spotted a gap from dummy half to cross for our fourth try of the game. Makinson converted, 26-0.

Hull KR grabbed a try of their own as they broke through the heart of the Saints line before a number of offloads resulted in Kane Linnett scoring. Coote was unable to convert, 26-4.

Just after the hour mark Saints had their fifth. The ball was thrown from right to left and it ended with Welsby throwing a cut-out pass for Bennison to stroll over in the corner. Makinson converted, 32-4.

Hull KR hit back shortly after. Saints were unable to deal with a short restart and Rovers kicked the ball to their left edge, Makinson caught it but offloaded to Will Tate to avoid being pushed into touch and he went over from close range. Coote was unable to convert, 32-8.

The Robins third try of the night came a few minutes later. On the last they opted against going down the short side and instead kicked cross field. The Robins caught the ball and worked it to their right edge and Connor Barley stretched over to score on debut. Coote was unable to convert, 32-12.

But Saints had the final say with three minutes to go. Off the back of a penalty awarded in the midfield, Saints worked the ball downfield and Ben Davies was too powerful from close range and forced his way over to score. Makinson converted, 38-12.

Those were the final points of the game as Saints maintained our six point lead at the top of the Betfred Super League table and can seal the League Leaders’ Shield with victory over rivals Wigan Warriors at the DW Stadium next Friday!

Match Summary

Saints Team: Will Hopoate, Tommy Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Ben Davies, Jonathan Bennison, Jack Welsby, Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley, James Roby, Matty Lees, Joe Batchelor, James Bell, Joe Batchelor, Jake Wingfield.

Interchanges: Joey Lussick, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Agnatius Paasi, Sam Royle.

Tries: Tommy Makinson (8, 21), Jack Welsby (30), Joey Lussick (43), Jonathan Bennison (61), Ben Davies (77)

Conversions: Tommy Makinson (5 from 6)

Penalties: Tommy Makinson (2 from 2)

Hull KR Team: Lachlan Coote, Connor Barley, Jimmy Keinhorst, Will Tate, Ryan Hall, Mikey Lewis, Rowan Milnes, Matty Storton, Jez Litten, George King, Frankie Halton, Kane Linnett, Elliot Minchella.

Interchanges: Albert Vete, Will Maher, Phoenix Laulu-Togag’e, Zach Fishwick.

Tries: Kane Linnett (57), Will Tate (63), Connor Barley (69)

Conversions: Lachlan Coote (0 from 3)

HT: 20-0

FT: 38-12

Attendance: 10,048

Principal Club Partners

O'Neills logo
LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders