Saints dig deep to beat Hull FC

St Helens beat Hull FC 20-12 in a physical battle at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Friday evening as they returned to winning ways!

The first big chance came for the visitors eight minutes in. Cameron Scott broke down the Hull right edge before being halted by Jack Welsby ten metres out, on the last Brad Fash threw a booming pass from right to left which found Ligi Sao, he then found Josh Griffin who found former Saint Adam Swift on the wing, a great last-ditch tackle by Ben Davies forcing a fumble as Swift went for the corner, 0-0.

Saints had their best chance 24 minutes into the game. A break downfield by skipper James Roby allowed them to run a quick play, Davies was held up in the corner though by a strong FC defence. The following play, Saints moved the ball to their right on the last, but Jonny Lomax’s pass to Jon Bennison was judged to have gone forward as the winger dove to score in the corner, 0-0 it remained.

The video referee was called into action with seven minutes of the first period to go. On the last tackle in the Saints five, Josh Griffin opted to go alone down the short side in the left corner. Referee, Aaron Moore, ruled no try on-field. The video referee agreed with Moore’s call, 0-0 it stayed.

Saints camped on the Black and Whites line for the final five minutes of the first half. That pressure finally paid off in the final 90 seconds of the half. From a goal-line dropout, Hull FC opted to go short, centre Davies claimed the ball unopposed before sprinting away to score in the corner. The referee sent it upstairs as a try and the video referee confirmed that decision. Tommy Makinson was unable to convert, 4-0.

The hosts led 4-0 at the break, as defences were on top in a hard fought opening forty minutes at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

The video referee was called into action seven minutes into the second half. Hull FC marched downfield and off the back of a six again call, Scott Taylor went over from close range. Moore saying try on-field and the video referee agreed. Jake Clifford converted, 4-6 the visitors led.

Saints’ try scorer Davies was then forced off with half an hour to go with an apparent knee injury as the Black and Whites kicked to Welsby on the last, 4-6.

The Red V then re-took the lead 15 minutes into the second half. The visitors knocked the ball forward as Ritson dove for the corner giving Saints another set. From the scrum, Jonny Lomax threw left for Welsby, he then threw a cut-out pass to Bennison on the left wing, he cut in before squeezing through a gap to score. Joey Lussick took over kicking duties and nailed it, 10-6.

Another try followed just after the hour mark. Saints marched downfield again, then ran down the Hull right edge and James Bell threw a great offload to find Welsby who slid over in the corner for a perfect birthday gift! Lussick kicked a brilliant conversion from the left touchline, 16-6 the hosts led.

Hull FC then responded almost instantly from the kick off. Saints ran the ball out and fumbled it forward, Clifford picked up the loose ball to stroll over for their second try of the game. He converted his own try, 16-10 they trailed.

The visitors had another great chance as we entered the final five minutes. Swift made a break down their left wing and kicked ahead, Brad Dwyer was all alone with the try-line in his face, but fumbled the ball as he went to collect it, a big let off for Saints, 16-12 the score stayed.

The video referee was called upon again with three minutes to go. On the last, five out from the Hull line on the last, Saints opted to go down the short side. Dodd finding Makinson, he found Bennison who crept in the corner for his second try. The video referee agreed with the on-field decision, Saints had a two-score lead for the first time on the night. Dodd took over kicking duties but it sailed wide, 20-12 the hosts led.

Those were the final points of the evening, as Saints returned to winning ways with a 20-12 victory over Hull FC at the Totally Wicked Stadium, scoring four tries for their first home victory of the 2023 Betfred Super League season!

Match Summary

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tee Ritson, Ben Davies, Tommy Makinson, Jon Bennison, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Alex Walmsley, James Roby, Matty Lees, James Bell, Curtis Sironen, Morgan Knowles.

Interchanges: Joey Lussick, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Agnatius Paasi, Jake Wingfield.

18th Man: Sam Royle.

Tries: Ben Davies (38), Jon Bennison (55, 77), Jack Welsby (61)

Conversions: Tommy Makinson (0 from 1), Joey Lussick (2 from 2), Lewis Dodd (0 from 1)

Hull FC Team: Tex Hoy, Davy Litten, Cameron Scott, Josh Griffin, Adam Swift, Josaia Lovodua, Jake Clifford, Jack Brown, Danny Houghton, Tevita Satae, Andre Savelio, Ligi Sao, Brad Fash.

Interchanges: Jordan Lane, Joe Cator, Scott Taylor, Brad Dwyer.

18th Man: William Gardiner.

Tries: Scott Taylor (47), Jake Clifford (64)

Conversions: Jake Clifford (2 from 2)

HT: 4-0

FT: 20-12

Attendance: 10,350

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders