Saints beat Hull FC to reach Challenge Cup Semi Finals

St Helens will be in the Betfred Challenge Cup Semi Final draw tomorrow, after a 18=32 victory over Hull FC this afternoon!

Early on, Lewis Dodd was hit late after a kick, which gave Saints a penalty in the Hull 20. Dodd had a go himself shortly into the set but was held up in-goal as he went for a four-pointer.

The Hull defence wasn’t able to stand firm much longer though. A fumble in their  own half gave Saints ball in the Hull half. A few tackles in, James Roby found Dodd from dummy half, he found Jack Welsby who put Joe Batchelor through a gap and he planted the ball down to open the scoring. Tommy Makinson added the extras, 0-6 the visitors led.

Saints lost Mark Percival to injury ten minutes in following a tackle from Brad Fash, the Hull man put on report for the incident, as Saints had to replace their centre with Sione Mata’utia. The incident gave Saints the chance to kick for two, which Makinson converted, 0-8 to the Red V.

Hull grabbed their first points 16 minutes in. Tex Hoy found a hole in the Saints defence and made the most of it as he found Josh Griffin supporting on his inside to stroll over under the sticks. Liam Sutcliffe converted from next to the sticks, 6-8.

The Black and Whites went over again shortly after. A high kick to Saints’ left edge was claimed by Carlos Tuimavave, he then dropped the ball backwards and it was picked up by ex Saint, Andre Savelio who only had to put the ball down. Chris Kendall sent it upstairs as a try, the video referee agreed, Sutcliffe then added the two, 12-8 Saints trailed.

Makinson was then forced off with what appeared to be a hamstring injury, the visitors were left with just two interchanges for the remainder of the game.

Saints levelled in the 34th minute. After forcing a goal-line dropout, the visitors moved downfield. As Hull’s defence continued to stand firm, Saints moved right and Welsby threw a cut-out pass to Konrad Hurrell on the wing who strolled over in the corner. Joey Lussick took the kick but it went wide, 12-12 we were tied.

With 30 seconds left in the half, Jake Trueman went for a one-pointer but his effort went wide of the posts, as the two sides went in level at the break at the MKM Stadium. As the two sides left the pitch, try-scorer Griffin was sent off for dissent, the hosts having to play to second 40 with twelve men.

Two minutes into the second half, Saints had a good chance to re-claim the lead. Jonny Lomax put a kick over the top on the last into space, the ball bounced by Batchelor fumbled the ball as he tried to claim in down low.

We weren’t to be denied for much longer though. After consecutive breaks by Welsby and Roby, Saints went left as Lussick found Dodd, he found Curtis Sironen who reached out from close range to score. Lussick converted the try, 12-18 the visitors led.

Just before the hour mark, we had our fourth try. A massive break downfield from Tee Ritson almost saw him grab his first Saints try, but he was stopped short by Hoy. The following play the ball found Dodd and he ran through the Hull line and reached out to give Saints a two-score lead. Lussick converted, 12-24.

Hull then grabbed a try out of nothing. A high kick saw Welsby and Ritson collide which forced the ball loose, Hull worked the ball right to Tuimavave and he passed on his inside to Trueman who dove over to score in the corner. Sutcliffe converted, 18-24.

The momentum wasn’t to continue for long though. Hull fumbled a few tackles after the kick off. Off the back of it, Saints opted a play down their left edge and Welsby threw a dummy before running through a gap and planted the ball down from close range. Lussick missed the kick, 18-28.

There was still time for one final Red V try. Hull had a penalty but Batchelor stopped the kick from going into touch, as a result Saints went the other way and Lomax threw a great pass to Bell who went through a gap to score down the right edge. Lussick was unable to convert, 18-32 Saints led.

That was the final action of the game, as Saints progressed to the Betfred Challenge Cup Semi Finals with a 18-32 victory over Hull FC at the MKM Stadium.

Match Summary

Hull FC Team: Davy Litten, Adam Swift, Liam Sutcliffe, Carlos Tuimavave, Darnell McIntosh, Jake Trueman, Tex Hoy, Brad Fash, Danny Houghton, Scott Taylor, Josh Griffin, Andre Savelio, Joe Cator.

Interchanges: Ligi Sao, Chris Satae, Jordan Lane, Brad Dwyer.

18th Man: Cameron Scott.

Tries: Josh Griffin (16), Andre Savelio (25), Jake Trueman (66)

Conversions: Liam Sutcliffe (3 from 3)

Red Card: Josh Griffin (40)

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Mark Percival, Tee Ritson, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Alex Walmsley, James Roby, Matty Lees, Curtis Sironen, Joe Batchelor, Morgan Knowles.

Interchanges: Sione Mata’utia, Joey Lussick, Agnatius Paasi, James Bell.

18th Man: Jon Bennison.

Tries: Joe Batchelor (6), Konrad Hurrell (34), Curtis Sironen (45), Lewis Dodd (58), Jack Welsby (70), James Bell (78)

Conversions: Tommy Makinson (1 from 1), Joey Lussick (2 from 5)

Penalties: Tommy Makinson (1 from 1)

HT: 12-12

FT: 18-32

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders