Saints beat Robins at a damp Totally Wicked Stadium

St Helens beat Hull KR 28-6 on Friday evening at the Totally Wicked Stadium, as we celebrated the Daniel Anderson round!

You can donate to the Daniel Anderson fund here

Saints thought they had an early first minute lead. Hull KR allowed a high kick to bounce, Joe Batchelor claimed it but his pass towards Jon Bennison on the wing edged forward, with just the try-line in front of him. Another chance soon followed. Skipper, James Roby spotted a gap from dummy half and tried to burrow his way over under the sticks, which it looked like he had, but the referee ruled that he had been held up on the last.

Another chance came 13 minutes in. Saints kept the ball alive and Jack Welsby threw a cut-out pass to Tommy Makinson on the right wing, but as he tried to dive under some tacklers in the corner, he was dragged into touch.

The Robins then had their best chance to grab the first points. A low kick was chased by multiple players, Shaun Kenny-Dowall missed it before Makinson grounded it in-goal.

Saints did manage to grab the first points 30 minutes into the contest though. A high shot on George Delaney won the Red V a penalty in front of the sticks, Mark Percival kicking the two before going off for a HIA, 2-0 Saints led.

The first try did arrive, 36 minutes in. Lewis Dodd’s low kick was fumbled my Mikey Lewis, Sione Mata’utia picked up the loose ball and strolled over before grounding it in the corner. Makinson was unable to convert, 6-0 Saints led. That was the final action of a tight first 40 minutes.

It took just five minutes for the first points for the second half. Saints went right, the returning Percival broke through and found the supporting Makinson to glide over in the right corner. Percival converted, 12-0 Saints led.

A third try quickly followed. Lewis collected Moses Mbye’s kick, the ball was knocked loose and Batchelor gathered it before finding Mbye, who sped away for his first Saints try. Percival converted, 18-0.

Another nearly followed. Makinson was sent flying down the right wing, he tried to find the supporting Lomax on his inside, but the pass was just a bit too far ahead of Saints’ number six, and went to ground.

Try number four wasn’t far behind though. Saints put the ball through the hands, Lomax finding Makinson who dove over in the corner for his second try of the evening. Percival missed the conversion, 22-0 Saints led.

Saints were then awarded following a high shot, opted to kick for two and Percival added the points, 24-0.

Rovers did reply with 18 minutes to go. Lewis broke through and kicked ahead, Ethan Ryan winning the race before offloading whilst tackled back to Lewis to score. Brad Schneider converted, 24-6.

Just before the full-time siren, Saints had try number five. A flowing move from right to left through the hands ended with Lomax finding Ben Davies, who forced his way over from close range. Percival missed the kick, 28-6 Saints led.

Match Summary

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Mark Percival, Ben Davies, Jon Bennison, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Morgan Knowles, James Roby, George Delaney, Joe Batchelor, Sione Mata’utia, James Bell.

Interchanges: Sam Royle, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Dan Norman, Moses Mbye.

18th Man: Lewis Baxter.

Tries: Sione Mata’utia (35), Tommy Makinson (45, 53), Moses Mbye (48), Ben Davies (76)

Conversions: Tommy Makinson (0 from 1), Mark Percival (2 from 4)

Penalties: Mark Percival (2 from 2)

Hull KR Team: Mikey Lewis, Ethan Ryan, Tom Opacic, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Ryan Hall, Rowan Milnes, Brad Schneider, Rhys Kennedy, Jez Litten, George King, James Batchelor, Kane Linnett, Dean Hadley.

Interchanges: Matt Parcell, Matty Storton, Jimmy Keinhorst, Sam Luckley.

18th Man: Yusuf Aydin.

Tries: Mikey Lewis (62)

Conversions: Brad Schneider (1 from 1)

HT: 6-0

FT: 28-6

Attendance: 11,258

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders