Dominant first 40 minutes sees Saints record big win

Saints beat Castleford 6-34 this evening at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle, to make it five successive wins!

Castleford piled on the pressure early on. Two knock ons from high kicks on from the Saints on our line gave the Tigers great field position, but some great last-ditch defending kept the hosts out, before we forced a knock on.

Despite the early pressure, it was the Red V that took the lead. A move down the right edge saw the ball moved through the hands, Jonny Lomax found Mark Percival, he found Tommy Makinson who broke down the right wing, he then return the ball to Percival who scored in the corner. Percival converted his own try, 0-6 Saints led.

A second Saints try soon followed. A move again down the right edge saw Percival find Makinson, who was able to burrow his way under a tackle to score from close range. Percival added the two from the right touchline, 0-12.

Saints soon added a third. After Welsby had been held up over the line, Saints went left and Sione Mata’utia threw a cut-out pass to Jon Bennison on the wing, and he cut inside before breezing through a gap and scored under the sticks. Percvial added the extras, for his 1000th point in a Saints shirt, 0-18 the visitors led.

Two minutes later, Saints had try number four. Welsby ran across the line, threw and dummy and broke a tackle, he found the supporting Joe Batchelor on his inside who strolled over underneath the sticks. Percival added the extras, 0-24 Saints led.

There was still time for a fifth Saints try before the break. A ball steal on Dan Norman earned a penalty, Saints ran it and Welsby threw a cut-out pass for Makinson to stroll over in the corner for his second try of the game. Percival added the extras again from the right touchline, 0-30.

Saints began the second 40 as they had ended the first. A flowing move down the right edge saw Percival set Makinson away down the wing, he found the supporting Lomax on his inside who dove over unopposed. Percival missed the kick, 0-34.

The Tigers grabbed their first points of the game in the 62nd minute. After a penalty for a high shot, and a six again, the Tigers opted to go left and former Saint, Jordan Turner crossed in the corner. Gareth Widdop missed the conversion, 4-34 Saints led.

Sam Royle was sent to the sin bin for holding down a Castleford attacker, as they looked for a quick play the ball. That meant Saints would be down to twelve men for the final ten minutes.

Match Summary

Castleford Tigers Team: Gareth Widdop, Elliot Wallis, Charbel Tasipale, Jordan Turner, Will Tate, Joe Westerman, Jacob Miller, Liam Watts, Liam Horne, George Griffin, Alex Mellor, Kenny Edwards, George Lawler.

Interchanges: Sam Hall, Jordan Johnstone, Alex Foster, Billy Tsikrikas.

18th Man: Brad Martin.

Tries: Jordan Turner (62)

Conversions: Gareth Widdop (0 from 1)

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Mark Percival, Ben Davies, Jon Bennison, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Morgan Knowles, James Roby, George Delaney, Joe Batchelor, Sione Mata’utia, James Bell.

Interchanges: Sam Royle, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Dan Norman, Moses Mbye.

18th Man: Lewis Baxter.

Tries: Mark Percival (11), Tommy Makinson (18, 38), Jon Bennison (25), Joe Batchelor (27), Jonny Lomax (45)

Conversions: Mark Percival (5 from 6)

Sin Bin: Sam Royle (70)

HT: 0-30

FT: 4-34

Attendance: 6,868

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders