Stubborn Saints see off the Wolves

Saints made it eight consecutive wins, after beating Warrington Wolves 6-18 on Friday evening!

Saints opened the scoring 12 minutes in, after a dominant opening to the contest. On the last, Saints went left and Jonny Lomax threw a fake pass, before finding Curtis Sironen who bounced off a Warrington tackle, before spinning over the line from close range. Mark Percival converted, 0-6 the visitors led.

Midway through the first half, Saints grabbed their second try. Following a Warrington knock on, on their own line, Saints went right from the scrum, James Roby found Lewis Dodd, he found Jack Welsby, who was able to find Percival running a strong line and he broke through to increase Saints’ lead. He converted his own try, 0-12 Saints led.

Warrington had their first real opening of the game half an hour in. A penalty had put the hosts in good field position, on the last they threw it from left to right, but Josh Drinkwater’s pass was fumbled by Connor Wrench, with Jon Bennison providing some great pressure to force the error.

Another chance soon followed. Warrington had numbers down their right edge and Matt Dufty sent Wrench through a gap, he then found Matty Russell on his outside, but a great last ditch tackle from Welsby pushed the Warrington winger into touch.

That was the final action of a relentless first 40 minutes at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, Saints led 0-12 at the break.

Warrington had the best chance early on in the second half, as the teams battled it out mainly in the midfield. A high kick by Leon Hayes was batted backwards by Ben Currie and found James Harrison, he found Danny Walker who broke a tackle and look destined for the line, but Welsby and Dodd combined to produce a great try-saving tackle under the sticks.

Another soon followed. A scrum 20 metres from the Saints line went left and found its way to Matty Ashton, who dove over in the corner. The referee sent it upstairs, but the video referee ruled no try.

The hosts were awarded a penalty for an offside from the scrum, a few tackles from the restart, Daryl Clark spotted a gap from dummy half and made the most of it to score from close range. The video referee this time agreeing with the on-field call of try. Ratchford converted, 6-12 they trailed.

With four minutes to go, Bennison was sent to the sin bin for an off the ball incident, as the hosts broke down their right edge.

Seconds before the hooter, Moses Mbye spotted a gap under the Warrington sticks from dummy half and made the most of it, to send the away end into rapture. Percival converted, as Saints beat Warrington 6-18 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium!

Match Summary

Warrington Wolves Team: Matt Dufty, Matty Russell, Connor Wrench, Stefan Ratchford, Matty Ashton, Leon Hayes, Josh Drinkwater, Thomas Mikaele, Daryl Clark, Paul Vaughan, Ben Currie, Matty Nicholson, Jordy Crowther.

Interchanges: James Harrison, Sam Kasiano, Joe Philbin, Danny Walker.

18th Man: Greg Minikin.

Tries: Daryl Clark (56)

Conversions: Stefan Ratchford (1 from 1)

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Mark Percival, Ben Davies, Jon Bennison, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Matty Lees, James Roby, Sione Mata’utia, Joe Batchelor, Curtis Sironen, Morgan Knowles.

Interchanges: Sam Royle, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, James Bell, Moses Mbye.

18th Man: Lewis Baxter.

Tries: Curtis Sironen (12), Mark Percival (20), Moses Mbye (80)

Conversions: Mark Percival (3 from 3)

Sin Bin: Jon Bennison (76)

HT: 0-12

FT: 6-18

Attendance: 12,855

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders