Saints beat Hull FC but have to settle for third

Saints beat Hull FC 30-12 at the Totally Wicked Stadium this evening, but results elsewhere meant we settle for third place

Nine minutes into the game, Saints grabbed the first points. A high shot 25 metres from the sticks centrally, allowed Mark Percival a shot at goal which he took, 2-0 the hosts led.

Ten minutes later, Saints extended the lead. A move from right to left ended with Curtis Sironen finding Percival, who broke a tackle before stepping inside the fullback to score to the left of the sticks. Percival turned his six-points haul so far into eight, 8-0.

A second Saints score seemed to have followed. Jack Welsby broke through the middle of the Hull defence and rolled over and looked to have scored, but referee Ben Thaler ruled double movement so awarded a penalty to the visitors.

Another big chance came with less than five first half minutes to go. Konrad Hurrell made a big break downfield before finding Will Hopoate, who was tackled. Off the back of it, Saints went right and Jonny Lomax threw a cut-out pass which bounced into Tommy Makinson’s hands, but he was pushed into touch as he dove for the corner.

That was the final chance of a tight first half, as the visitors tried to narrow the deficit before the break. 8-0 Saints led.

It took just two second half minutes for the Saints’ second try. A high kick inside from Lomax was allowed to bounce and Lewis Dodd won the race to the loose ball to ground it under pressure underneath the sticks. Percival converted, 14-0.

Hull narrowed the gap twelve minutes into the second half. Poor defence from Saints allowed Hull to break down the middle of them. The ball found its way to Lewis Martin, who evaded some challenges before scoring in the left corner. Tex Hoy converted, 14-6.

Saints made sure to stop a comeback from mounting. A move down the short-side saw Moses Mbye find Lomax, who powered his way over from close range. Percival converted, 20-6.

Just over a minute later, Saints had another. Mbye broke down the middle and found support on his inside to Morgan Knowles, the ball then found its way to Welsby, who hesitated before burrowing his way over underneath the sticks. Percival added another two points, 26-6.

Saints looked to keep their foot on the gas, but with ten minutes to go a loose pass was intercepted by Cameron Scott and he raced the distance, just about beating the chasing Joe Batchelor to the line. Hoy converted, 26-12.

There was still time for one final score within the final 30 seconds. Welsby broke from within his own half and broke another tackle, before racing down the wing to score in the right corner for his second try of the evening. Saints didn’t attempt the conversion, with a 30-12 victory over Hull FC on Friday evening.

Match Summary

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Mark Percival, Will Hopoate, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Sione Mata’utia, James Roby, Matty Lees, Joe Batchelor, Curtis Sironen, Morgan Knowles.

Interchanges: Alex Walmsley, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, George Delaney, Moses Mbye.

18th Man: Ben Davies.

Tries: Mark Percival (19), Lewis Dodd (42), Jonny Lomax (65), Jack Welsby (67, 80)

Conversions: Mark Percival (4 from 4), Saints did not attempt a fifth conversion.

Penalties: Mark Percival (1 from 1)

Hull FC Team: Davy Litten, Lewis Martin, Carlos Tuimavave, Cameron Scott, Darnell McIntosh, Tex Hoy, Jake Clifford, Scott Taylor, Brad Dwyer, Chris Satae, , Jordan Lane, Brad Fash, Joe Cator.

Interchanges: Joe Lovodua, Jack Brown, Will Gardiner, Zach Jebson.

18th Man: Nick Staveley.

Tries: Lewis Martin (52), Cameron Scott (70)

Conversions: Tex Hoy (2 from 2)

HT: 8-0

FT: 30-12

Attendance: 14,036

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders