Saints impress in pre-season victory over Salford

Saints beat Salford Red Devils 52-10 this afternoon at the Totally Wicked Stadium!

Lineup Notes

  • The only chance to see the vast majority of starters in action during pre-season.
  • Waqa Blake and Daryl Clark both make their first appearances in the Red V since their off-season moves from Parramatta Eels and Warrington Wolves.
  • Head Coach, Paul Wellens names an extended bench for our final run out before the first Betfred Super League game against London Broncos on Friday 16th February at the Totally Wicked Stadium.
One of Saints’ newest signings Matt Whitley gets warmed up ahead of kick off at the Totally Wicked Stadium. Image Captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)

Salford had the first chance of the match, after an error gave them a repeat set in Saints territory. A high kick to Saints’ left side was claimed by Kallum Watkins close to the line. The hosts were able to wrap the ball up though, as the former Leeds man tried to ground it in the corner.

Saints took an early lead six minutes in. A Salford error gave the hosts the ball ten metres from the Red Devils line. Debutant,  Daryl Clark tried to feed Curtis Sironen, the ball found the ground but Jack Welsby won the race to the loose ball to open the scoring. Tommy Makinson converted, 6-0.

The visitors were then reduced to twelve men for ten minutes. George Delaney threw an offload and was hit late by King Vuniyaywa, the referee instantly producing the yellow card.

The lead was extended shortly after. Salford pressed forward but their kick on the last was blocked and claimed by Joe Batchelor, he found Daryl Clark on his inside and he was able to break away from well within his own half, before sending Chris Hankinson to Tesco and scored underneath the sticks. Makinson converted, 12-0.

Daryl Clark races away for his first try as a Saint. Image Captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)

From the restart, Saints grabbed another. Delaney broke through the Salford line and found support on his inside in the form of Welsby, he was able to dummy past a Salford defender before sliding over to the left of the sticks. Makinson added another two points, 18-0.

Saints fourth came on the half-hour mark. A Salford knock on gave the Red V a repeat set on the visitors’ line. A few tackles in, Saints shifted it from left to right and new skipper Jonny Lomax threw a great cut-out pass to Makinson who strolled over in the corner. He was unable to convert from the touchline, 22-0.

The hosts relentless pressure continued. Lewis Dodd put in a good grubber kick on the last tackle which was claimed by Ryan Brierley. A good chase from Matt Whitley earned Saints a repeat set though, as he was trapped in-goal.

With the repeat set came another try. On the last, Moses Mbye attempted a low kick which ricocheted around, before the loose ball was pounced on by Joe Batchelor, and he had the simple task of grounding it under the sticks. Makinson converted, 28-0.

Saints looked to end the first half with another try. Mbye found Dodd, he set Welsby free on the inside and tried to find Alex Walmsley on his inside, but the ball went to ground.

Salford grabbed the first try of the second half against a heavily rotated Saints outfit. Tim Lafai broke away down the left wing after the visitors kept the ball alive, he fed former Saint Matty Foster on his outside and he scored in the corner. Marc Sneyd converted, 28-6.

Saints replied 13 minutes into the second half. A ‘six again’ for a flop allowed Saints to move downfield. The ball was moved about and Moses Mbye found Whitley who breezed through a gap to score in the corner. George Whitby converted, 34-6.

Matt Whitley crosses for his first try in Saints colours. Image captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)

The probable try of the match followed. From a scrum, Saints went right and Dayon Sambou was able to break through down Saints’ right edge and raced away from well within his own half to score in the corner. Whitby nailed the conversion from the right touchline, 40-6.

Try number eight came four minutes later. Saints worked it well down the left-hand side and Ben Davies found Jonny Vaughan won the race to the corner. Whitby converted, 46-6.

Salford were then reduced to twelve men for the second time in the afternoon. Finley Yates was high when trying to stop Saints pushing downfield again and saw yellow.

Try number nine then arrived. Davies threw a good cut-out pass to the wing, and Saints broke again, the pass inside was fumbled backwards by Salford and claimed by Owen Dagnall, who scored in the corner. Whitby converted, 52-6.

Owen Dagnall celebrates his second half try. Image Captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)

There was still time for Salford to grab one back. A grubber to the corner bounced favourably for the Red Devils and Scott Egan grounded it in the corner. Gatcliffe missed the conversion, 52-10.

A tenth and final try looked to have come on the hooter. Davies set Dagnall away down the wing again, he kicked ahead and despite a miscommunication, Davies picked the ball up and scored to the left of the sticks. After a video referee review, it was not awarded but it wasn’t to change the outcome, as Saints beat Salford 52-10 at the Totally Wicked Stadium to end their pre-season on a high!

Match Summary

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Waqa Blake, Jon Bennison, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Alex Walmsley, Daryl Clark, George Delaney, Joe Batchelor, Curtis Sironen, James Bell.

Interchanges: Moses Mbye, Brett Bailey, Jake Wingfield, Matt Whitley, Ben Davies, Sam Royle, Jake Burns, Tee Ritson, McKenzie Buckley, Dayon Sambou, George Whitby, Jonny Vaughan, Noah Stephens, Harvey Braddish, Harry Robertson, Owen Dagnall, Ben Will, Ciaran Nolan, Sam Oakes.

Tries: Jack Welsby (6, 19), Daryl Clark (16), Tommy Makinson (30), Joe Batchelor (36), Matt Whitley (53), Dayon Sambou (63), Jonny Vaughan (67), Owen Dagnall (73)

Conversions: Tommy Makinson (4 from 5), George Whitby (4 from 4)

Salford Red Devils Team: Ryan Brierley, Deon Cross, Nene Macdonald, Tim Lafai, Chris Hankinson, Chris Atkin, Marc Sneyd, Brad Singleton, Amir Bourouh, King Vuniyayawa, Sam Stone, Kallum Watkins, Oliver Partington.

Interchanges: Joe Shorrocks, Jack Ormondroyd, Shane Wright, Ben Hellewell, Andrew Dixon, Matty Foster, Kai Morgan, Joe Mellor, Fitzgerald, Scott Egan, Wagstaffe, Harrison, Connell, Gatcliffe, Brown, Finley Yates, Phillips, John Hutchings, Bardyel Wells, Edge, Charlie Glover.

Tries: Matty Foster (45), Scott Egan (77)

Conversions: Marc Sneyd (1 from 1), Gatcliffe (0 from 1)

Sin Bin: King Vuniyayawa (9), Finley Yates (68)

HT: 28-0

FT: 52-10

Attendance: 4,058

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders