Saints beaten by the Robins in East Yorkshire

Saints were beaten 40-20 by Hull KR at Sewell Group Craven Park this afternoon...

Tee Ritson prepares for his first start of the 2024 season. Image captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)
Tee Ritson prepares for his first start of the 2024 season. Image captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)

Hull KR took the lead nine minutes in. Tee Ritson had made a good tackle to prevent Ryan Hall down the wing, the following play Mikey Lewis chipped over the top and it was collected  by Tyrone May who scored underneath the sticks. Lewis converted, 6-0 Saints trailed.

Saints replied three minutes later. Percival’s kick off forced a goal-line dropout and after an initial break down the right edge saw him tackled by Niall Evalds, Jack Welsby then got the ball down the left edge, broke a tackle and flew past another defender before scoring. Percival added the extras, 6-6 it was tied.

Morgan Knowles was then sent to the sin bin fifteen minutes in following a high shot as the hosts looked to break down the middle of the field. Hull KR went ahead three minutes later. A break down the middle of the field saw the Robins with numbers, Elliot Minchella found Lewis in support and he scored underneath the sticks. The try awarded after a short video referee review to see if he went into touch. He added the extras, 12-6.

Saints looked to have responded quickly again. Hull KR made an error inside their own 20, Saints shifted the ball around and a few tackles in moved it left, Jonny Lomax threw a cut-out pass to Waqa Blake on the wing who stepped inside well before finishing in the corner. The video referee agreeing with the on-field call of try. Percival missed the kick, 12-10 Saints trailed.

The hosts had another chance to grab points with 15 minutes of the first 40 to go. An overlap on their left edge allowed Ryan Hall to break, but some good recovery speed from Ritsoon forced an error as the pass inside went forward.

Saints went down the other end and claimed the lead for the first time in the afternoon. Welsby picked the ball up from dummy half, threw a cut-out pass to Konrad Hurrell who forced his way over from close range. Again, the decision went upstairs, but was confirmed as a try quickly. Percival missed the conversion, 12-14 Saints led.

Hull KR retook the lead just before the break. A break down the middle by Kelepi Tanginoa saw him find Jack Broadbent on the edge and he strolled over in the corner to put the hosts back ahead. Lewis missed the conversion attempt, 16-14.

Both sides exchanged sets to end the half but neither were able to add points to the scoreboard, 16-14 Saints trailed at the break in East Yorkshire.

Two minutes into the second half, Saints were awarded a penalty deep inside Hull territory as the hosts were caught offside from a kick. Saints tried to breakthrough but on the last Welsby’s attempted pass to Blake sailed into touch.

The hosts extended their lead eight minutes into the second half. Consecutive six agains deep inside Saints’ half gave them lots of possession, a few tackles in Evalds threw one out the back for Peta Hiku who dove over to the right of the sticks. Lewis converted, 22-14.

Another try quickly followed. Lewis’ high kick was fumbled forward by Saints on their own line, Hull KR kept it alive, shifted it left and Jez Litten dove over in the corner. Lewis converted, 28-14.

Saints responded in the 64th minute. The visitors moved it through the hands from left to right, Welsby found Hurrell who ran through two Robins defenders before grounding in the corner. Percival converted, 28-20.

The hosts sealed their win with ten minutes to go. An error from Welsby gave the Robins the ball deep inside Saints’ half and Lewis stepped inside before feeding Dean Hadley who scored underneath the sticks. Lewis converted, 34-20.

A seventh try followed in the final minute. Saints lost the ball deep inside KR’s half and they broke the other way. A few tackles later, Lewis threw a cut-out pass to Hall who scored in the corner. Lewis converted with the final kick of the game, 40-20 it finished in Hull.

Match Summary

Hull KR Team: Niall Evalds, Joe Burgess, Peta Hiku, Oliver Gildart, Ryan Hall, Tyrone May, Mikey Lewis, Sauaso Sue, Jez Litten, Jai Whitbread, Dean Hadley, James Batchelor, Elliot Minchella.

Interchanges: Matt Parcell, Sam Luckley, Matty Storton, Kelepi Tanginoa.

18th Man: George King.

Tries: Tyrone May (9), Mikey Lewis (19), Jack Broadbent (34), Peta Hiku (48), Jez Litten (53), Dean Hadley (71), Ryan Hall (80)

Conversions: Mikey Lewis (6 from 7)

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tee Ritson, Konrad Hurrell, Mark Percival, Waqa Blake, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Sione Mata’utia, Moses Mbye, Matty Lees, Matt Whitley, Joe Batchelor, Morgan Knowles.

Interchanges: Daryl Clark, James Bell, Curtis Sironen, George Delaney.

18th Man: Ben Davies.

Tries: Jack Welsby (12), Waqa Blake (23), Konrad Hurrell (27, 64)

Conversions: Mark Percival (2 from 4)

Sin Bin: Morgan Knowles (15)

HT: 16-14

FT: 40-20

Attendance: N/A

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders