Saints dominate the Tigers at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle

Saints fought with a man down for 34 minutes to beat Castleford 4-54 in West Yorkshire this evening!

Noah Stephens prepares for his Saints debut. Image captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)
Noah Stephens prepares for his Saints debut. Image captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)

The video referee was called upon four minutes in. Lewis Dodd’s high kick was patted backwards by Jack Welsby, Sione Mata’utia picked up up and crashed over from close range. The on-field verdict of try was agreed with after a lengthy video referee review. Mark Percival’s kick bounced out off the post, 0-4 Saints led.

Soon after, we were back upstairs with the video referee again. Castleford shifted the ball left, Innes Senior tried to fly over in the corner but was tackled into touch by Konrad Hurrell. No try was the verdict, however Castleford were awarded a penalty and Tommy Makinson was sent off for a late shot on Tex Hoy. The following set, Castleford thought they had levelled, but some good work by Percival pushed Louis Senior into touch.

Saints tried to apply some pressure. Good work from Percival, Lewis Dodd and Curtis Sironen forced a goal-line dropout, James Bell was wrapped up on the last tackle underneath the sticks.

The visitors did increase their lead 24 minutes in. Percival broke down the left wing, fended off a tackle and found Jonny Lomax on his inside who turned Hoy inside out before crashing over in the corner. Percival couldn’t convert, 0-8.

On the half hour mark Saints looked for more. A flowing move through the hands from left to right saw the ball worked to Waqa Blake on the right edge, he was quickly wrapped up by the Castleford defence and pushed into touch.

With two minutes of the first half to go, we had another trip to the video referee. Castleford moved the ball right, Louis Senior broke down the wing and planted the ball in the corner under pressure from Welsby. Despite the fact the video screen in the stadium was unable to show the replay, the on-field decision of try was agreed with. Rowan Milnes’ kick bounced out off the post, 4-8 twelve-man Saints led at the break.

Three minutes into the second half, Saints increased their lead. Daryl Clark did well to break down the left edge, he found Welsby in support on his inside who broke a tackle before sprinting underneath the sticks to score. Percival converted, 4-14 Saints led.

A few minutes later, we had another trip upstairs. Lomax’s crossfield kick was claimed by Dodd, who lost it under contact before Matty Lees touched it down. The video referee agreed with the on-field verdict of no try.

The hosts were reduced to twelve men eight minutes into the second half. Liam Horne’s tackle on Bell saw the Saints man land on his head. The referee issuing the Castleford man with a red card. Percival converted the penalty, 4-16.

In the 52nd minute, we had another trip upstairs. Lomax’s kick with the outside of his foot to the left corner wasn’t cleared by Louis Senior, Percival took advantage and grounded in the corner. The referee’s decision of try was agreed with after a lengthy review. Percival couldn’t convert, 4-20 Saints led.

Saints grabbed another a few tackles after the kick off. The Red V moved it through the hands down their right edge, Welsby found Hurrell who broke down the right edge, he found Blake who scored in the corner. Percival added the extras, 4-26.

Another quick try soon followed. Hurrell again broke through a gap, he found Welsby on his inside who raced over to score. Percival converted, 6-32.

Saints continued to pile on the points. Dodd’s high kick was batted back by Joe Batchelor to Lomax who was able to offload to Bell who dove over from close range. Percival added another two points, 6-38.

Bell grabbed his second five minutes later. Saints, camped on the Castleford line, moved it back to the middle of the field. Bell stepped past a tackle and was able to power his way over from close range to score. Percival added two more points, 6-44.

Saints grabbed their ninth try with eight minutes to go. A move from left to right saw Blake set free down the right edge, he finished well in the corner to grab his second try of the evening. Percival couldn’t convert, 6-48.

There was still time for a tenth Saints try. Percival broke down the left edge, he found Dodd in support and he strolled over underneath the sticks to score. Percival added two more points, 6-54.

There was still time for another. A deflected kick landed in Welsby’s hands, he moved it right and Hurrell found Blake with a cut-out pass and he had the simple task of putting the ball down in the corner. Percival converted from the right touchline with the final kick of the game, as Saints won 4-60 at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle!

Match Summary

Castleford Tigers Team: Tex Hoy, Louis Senior, Corey Hall, Sam Wood, Innes Senior, Rowan Milnes, Jacob Miller, Liam Watts, Paul McShane, Joe Westerman, Alex Mellor, Elie El-Zakhem, George Hill.

Interchanges: Liam Horne, George Griffin, Cain Robb, Sam Eseh.

18th Man: Brad Martin.

Tries: Louis Senior (38)

Conversions: Rowan Milnes (0 from 1)

Red Card: Liam Horne (48)

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Mark Percival, Waqa Blake, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Sione Mata’utia, Daryl Clark, Matty Lees, Curtis Sironen, Joe Batchelor, James Bell.

Interchanges: Moses Mbye, Jake Wingfield, George Delaney, Noah Stephens.

18th Man: Ben Davies.

Tries: Sione Mata’utia (4), Jonny Lomax (24), Jack Welsby (43, 58), Mark Percival (52), Waqa Blake (54, 72, 79), James Bell (63, 68), Lewis Dodd (75)

Conversions: Mark Percival (6 from 10)

Penalties: Mark Percival (1 from 1)

Red Card: Tommy Makinson (13)

HT: 4-8

FT: 4-60

Attendance: 7,869

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders