Dominant Saints win in the Capital

Saints returned to the top of the Betfred Super League table with a 6-52 victory over London Broncos this afternoon!

Waqa Blake prepares to face the Broncos. Image captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)
Waqa Blake prepares to face the Broncos. Image captured by Bernard Platt (@PlattyPhoto)

The video referee was called into action in the eighth minute. Ten metres out and on the last tackle, Moses Mbye kicked high to the right edge and Waqa Blake climbed highest to collect the kick above Hakim Miloudi and ground it in the corner. The on-field decision of try was quickly agreed with. Mark Percival nailed the touchline conversion, 0-6 Saints led early on.

A second trip upstairs followed six minutes after. Saints, off the back of a penalty, moved downfield and Jack Welsby tried to force his way over from close range. Again the on-field call was agreed with, this time no try as Welsby was deemed to have been held up over the line.

The London defence couldn’t hold firm for much longer though. Saints moved it down our right edge with the same linkup proving lethal again as Mbye’s cut-out pass found Blake who finished acrobatically in the corner for his second try of the afternoon. Percival again nailed the touchline conversion, 0-12.

From the restart, Saints had a third try. Saints went short side, Daryl Clark found Mbye who threw a dummy before making a break and finding Sione Mata’utia in support, he then found Lewis Dodd who strolled over underneath the sticks. Percival added the extras, 0-18.

Saints had try number four of the half 26 minutes in. A move from left to right saw the ball end up with Mbye after collecting Dodd’s pass, he then broke through a tackle before crawling over the line to score. Percival converted, 0-24.

After a spell of defence on our own line, Saints nearly had another. The visitors kept the ball alive down the left edge and it eventually made its way to Welsby, he kicked ahead to try and find Percival but the bounce wasn’t favourable for the Red V and it sailed into touch.

With two minutes to go until the break we had another trip to the video referee. After Saints had forced a dropout, Clark opted to go left from underneath the sticks and found Noah Stephens who span over from close range. The try wasn’t awarded due to a double movement from the young Saints prop.

Saints continued to pile on the pressure but there were no more points before the break, as Saints led 0-24 in the Capital at half-time!

Five minutes into the second half, Saints had try number five of the afternoon. Clark found Dodd, he passed to James Bell on his inside who peeked his head through a hole before offloading to Clark who was able to round Alex Walker and score to the left of the sticks. Percival converted, 0-30.

The same two combined again five minutes later for Clark’s second try of the day. Clark found Bell from dummy half, he threw a dummy breaking through a gap and found Clark on his inside in support for a walk over try. Percival added another conversion, 0-36.

Clark made it an eight-minute hat-trick soon after. Mata’utia made a break after being found by Mbye before finding Welsby, Saints #1 then found Clark in support and he was able to stroll over for his third of the afternoon. Percival maintained his 100% record with the boot, 0-42.

With fourteen minutes to go, we had another trip to the video referee. Saints move the ball left, Clark to Mbye who found Welsby who broke through a gap before throwing a cut-out pass to Percival who scored in the corner. The on-field decision of try was not agreed with, as the try was ruled out for obstruction.

Try number eight of the afternoon for the visitors did arrive shortly after though. After a good kick by Mbye forced an error from London putting Saints in good field position, the visitors went down the short-side, Clark to Welsby who found Konrad Hurrell who wasn’t to be denied from close range. Percival’s kicked bounced out off the post, 0-46.

After having a try ruled out earlier on, Percival was able to grab one before the end of the game. Saints moved it left, Clark found Dodd from dummy half and his inch perfect kick was touched down by Percival in the corner. Percival converted his own try, 0-52 Saints led.

With 75 seconds to go we had a final trip to the video referee. James Meadows spotted space down London’s right edge and kicked, Lee Kershaw won the race to the loose ball and scored in the corner. The on-field decision of try quickly agreed with. Oli Leyland converted from the touchline, 6-52.

With just twelve seconds to go at the restart, London attempted a kick and chase but Blake came away with it. Saints returning to action with a 6-52 victory over London Broncos in the Capital!

Match Summary

London Broncos Team: Alex Walker, Lee Kershaw, Robbie Storey, Jarred Bassett, Hakim Miloudi, Oli Leyland, James Meadows, Lewis Bienek, Ugo Tison, Rhys Kennedy, Will Lovell, Ethan Natoli, Jacob Jones.

Interchanges: Sadiq Adebiyi, Jordan Williams, Marcus Stock, Emmanuel Waine.

18th Man: Matt Davis.

Tries: Lee Kershaw (79)

Conversions: Oli Leyland (1 from 1)

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Mark Percival, Waqa Blake, Moses Mbye, Lewis Dodd, George Delaney, Daryl Clark, Matty Lees, Curtis Sironen, Sione Mata’utia, James Bell.

Interchanges: Agnatius Paasi, Ben Davies, Sam Royle, Noah Stephens.

18th Man: Jon Bennison.

Tries: Waqa Blake (8, 16), Sione Mata’utia (19), Moses Mbye (26), Daryl Clark (45, 50, 53), Konrad Hurrell (71), Mark Percival (76)

Conversions: Mark Percival (8 from 9)

HT: 0-24

FT: 6-52


Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders