Reserves win big in Curtain Raiser!

The Saints struck first with 7 minutes gone on the clock. A six again after a London hand touched a Saints pass opened up the opportunity for a full set of six in the London 20 metre area. on the second play, Alfie Sinclair attacked the line, and tipped the ball onto Jermaine Carty who dove over to score left of the posts. George Whitby converted, 0-6 the Saints led.

It would be back to back tries for the Saints. The kick-off went out on the full, and the Saints struck straight away. Attacking left, Ellis Anderson found himself with a great cut out pass to go over and score in the corner. Whitby converted from out wide, 0-12.

18 minutes on the clock and the Saints were in again, a penalty for a high shot allowed the Saints up the field. Jake Burns scooped the ball up from dummy half, raced away to score to the right of the field. Whitby converted again, 0-18.

The Saints were again soon after following some great work from Harry Robertson. An attack looked to be breaking down in the middle of the field to the left, but a big left foot step from Robertson saw him break the line, and find a lovely offload to Burns to go away and grab his second under the posts. Success for Whitby with the boot extended the lead to 0-24.

However, a rare spot of possession for the broncos saw them grab their first try of the game. An error at the scrum was judged to have been against the Saints, and after getting to the Saints line, Harry Stevens ran a line back at the ruck to crash over and just ground the ball under the efforts of the Saints. Daniel Hoyes converts, 6-24.

But the Saints would grab the last score of the half to enter to the break with the momentum. From a scrum in the middle of the field the Saints played left, Robertson found Louie Roberts with a lovely short ball, which saw him race away to score under the sticks. Whitby converted from in-front, sending the Saints into the break ahead, 6-30.

Starting were we ended, it was a fast start to the second half which saw Owen Dagnall cross over. The Saints worked their way up the field off the back of a good defensive set. They attacked down the right, from 20 metres out, Robertson found Dagnall who crossed over in the corner. Whitby’s kick struck the left the post, his first miss of the afternoon, 6-34.

Shortly after the Saints would be in once again. The Saints again found themselves in the London half, this time attacking the right side of the pitch. The on-rushing defence of the Broncos tried to jam in on Robertson, he evaded the defence, then finding Max McGucken with the ball who stepped back in field and crashed over to score with a strong carry at the line. Whitby this time struck the right post, taking the score to 6-38 as the clock hit the 50 minute mark.

Straight from kick-off, the Saints were in once again. Robertson collected the kick-off, and stepped through the line. He raced away to halfway, were he drew in the fullback before finding Roberts in support who from half way beat the chasing defence to run away and score under the posts. Whitby got back to his success with the boot, 6-44.

After a stop in play in the 58th minute mark as a Broncos left the field for a head test, play resumed, along with the Saints scoring. Robertson took the Broncos line, and send a kick over the defence, which bounced up and after a strong chase from Deacon Swarbrick, he was rewarded as he grounded the ball to score. Whitby converted from an awkward angle to the left, 6-50.

As the Broncos tried to release some of the pressure they were under, an error from a short drop out gave Saints possession just 10 metres out. From the scrum Whitby played right, a sharp fast ball to Ben Will saw him collect the ball to go over in the corner. Whitby just missed with the kick, 6-54.

Another score, this time Robertson went from provider to scorer. The Saints attacked right with Whitby playing out the back to Robertson who burst through the line to score in the right and get himself a well deserved try to cap off a great performance. Whitby converted from an awkward angle to bring 60 point mark, 6-60.

The final try of the game came the same way as the first, with Sinclair setting up another one of his teammates with another great tip on ball, this time to his fellow prop partner in McKenzie Buckley who scored under the posts. Whitby converted the try to wrap up the big victory for the Saints, and see them take home a 6-66 win back to St Helens!

Match Summary

London Broncos Team: 1. Illiess Macini, 2. Gideon Boafa, 3. Joseph Stocks, 4. Chris Randall, 5. David Bofenda, 6. Daniel Hoyes, 7. Joshua Rourke, 8. Jack Hughes, 9. Matthew Davis, 10. Samuel Winney, 11. Harry Stevens, 12. Christopher Ball, 13. Jenson Monks.

Bench: 14. Jenson Binks, 15. Edward Brown, 16. David Slater, 17. Connor Flanagan.

18th Man: 18. William Peasey

Tries: Harry Stevens.

Goals: Daniel Hoyes

Saints Team: 1. Louie Roberts, 3. Ellis Anderson, 2. Max McGucken, 4. Owen Dagnall, 5. Ben Will, 6. Harry Robertson, 7. George Whitby, 8. Alfie Sinclair, 9. Jake Burns, 10 McKenzie Buckley, 11. Harvey Braddish, 12. Jermaine Carty, 19. Cole Marsh.

Bench: 13. Sam Oakes, 14. Deacon Swarbrick, 15. Jake Davies, 16. Niall Dean.

18th Player: 25. Alfie Tate.

Tries: Louie Roberts (2), Jake Burns (2), Jermaine Carty, Ellis Anderson, Owen Dagnall, Max McGucken, Deacon Swarbrick, Ben Will, Harry Robertson, McKenzie Buckley.

Goals: George Whitby (9 from 12).

HT: 6-30

FT: 6-66

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders