Saints Continue Winning Run

SAINTS eased to their tenth win in eleven games with a 21-8 victory over Widnes Vikings.

Adam Swift grabbed a brace at the Select Security Stadium as Keiron Cunningham’s men continued their good form.

Matty Fleming and Atelea Vea also crossed – but Joe Greenwood saw yellow in a melee at the end of the game that also saw two Widnes’ players sent off.

For 20 minutes, Saints were more than good value for their 12-0 lead.

They had the better of the early stages – LMS and James Roby putting in solid runs before Luke Walsh had his kick collected on the full.

But just four minutes in Adam Swift shot out from dummy half, well within his own 40, and showed great speed to round Rhys Hanbury and go the distance.

Walsh hit a 40:20 on Saints’ next attack – and from there Shannon McDonnell, in for Jonny Lomax, hit Swift for his second of the afternoon.

Saints were rampant and should have scored on their next foray into the Widnes’ half.

Walsh was once more the architect, producing a wonderful reverse kick to the posts.

But LMS was pinged for offside even though he collected the effort and put down.

Walsh added a penalty after Greg Richards was hit high on 15 minutes – the young prop unable to return – before the home side finally asserted some pressure on the Saints line.

Back to back penalties on 25 minutes forced the visitors into some defence and Aaron Heremaia was held up inches from the line on a characteristic run. Jordan Turner then forced the ball loose with a big hit shortly afterwards and then Manase Manuokafoa knocked on with his side in good position

Saints then had another let off when Hanbury broke through but inexplicably threw it forward to Kevin Brown.

A try was always coming though and it was therefore no surprise when Patrick Ah Van went down the left hand side with two minutes remaining in the half.

Saints began the second half on Widnes’ line and should have increased the lead when LMS fed Matty Fleming for a simple score.

But the young centre lost the ball over the line and the chance was gone.

Amends were made 52 minutes in.

The ball came left through Turner, Walsh and McDonnell for the youngster to put down in acres of space.

Walsh wide with his conversion attempt.

McDonnell went close from a James Roby break towards the hour mark and then Dominique Peyroux intercepted but was hauled down by Ah Van.

Corey Thompson replied for Widnes in the final ten minutes to make it interesting but Walsh calmed any nerves with a one-pointer.

Then a melee ended what had been a competitive contest.

Brown appeared to move his head to Greenwood after a tackle and it was all on with Ah Van and several players from both sides also involved.

Referee James Child had no option to send Brown and Ah Van off – with Joe receiving a yellow for retaliation.

Numbers duly up, Atelea Vea got on the outside of the Widnes’ defence to score as the hooter sounded.

Match Summary:


Tries: Ah Van, Thompson

Goals: White (0 from 1), Thompson (0 from 1)


Tries: Swift (2), Fleming, Vea, 

Goals: Walsh (2 from 5)

Drop: Walsh


Vikings: 4

Saints: 10

HT: 12-4

FT: 21-8

REF: James Child

ATT: 6128



1. Rhys Hanbury; 2. Corey Thompson, 14. Chris Dean, 4. Charly Runciman, 5. Patrick Ah Van; 7. Joe Mellor, 6. Kevin Brown; 37. Greg Burke, 9. Lloyd White, 36. Jack Buchanan, 22. Matt Whitley, 11. Chris Houston, 19. Macgraff Leuluai.

Subs: 10. Manase Manuokafoa, 24. James Chapelhow, 32. Connor Farrell, 33. Aaron Heremaia. 


23. Shannon McDonnell; 22. Jack Owens, 18. Dominique Peyroux, 24. Matty Fleming, 5. Adam Swift; 3. Jordan Turner, 7. Luke Walsh; 10. Kyle Amor, 9. James Roby, 15. Greg Richards, 12. Jon Wilkin, 20. Joe Greenwood, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook.

Subs: 8. Alex Walmsley, 11. Atelea Vea, 17. Luke Thompson, 28. Morgan Knowles.

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders