Saints defeat Wigan on Good Friday

St.Helens moved top of the Betfred Super League table after beating Wigan Warriors 12-4 on Good Friday!

Saints had the first good chance nine minutes in. Morgan Knowles found Alex Walmsley, he threw a quick offload to Lewis Dodd who broke downfield, he tried to race around Jai Field but was dragged into touch by the Wigan fullback.

The hosts spent the majority of the opening 20 minutes camped deep in Wigan territory, but were unable to find points, with errors a-plenty early on for both sides.

25 minutes in, Saints were awarded a penalty after Field spilt a low kick and it was recovered by an offside Wigan player. Saints opted to go for two, Mark Percival converted from near the left touchline, 2-0 Saints led.

Wigan were reduced to twelve men after Tyler Dupree raised his elbow on Matty Lees whilst carrying the ball. Referee Chris Kendall opting only for a yellow card though.

The visitors were able to see out the remainder of the first forty, but they trailed 2-0 to the Saints at the break.

Luke Thompson returned to the game to being the second half, after he left the field for a HIA towards the end of the first half. Saints soon lost Joe Batchelor minutes after coming on to the same reason. He passed, but would not return to the game.

56 minutes into the game, we had our first trip to the video referee. Wigan camped on Saints’ line, close to the end of their set Bevan French ran towards the right corner kicking ahead for himself before grounding the ball in the corner. Video Referee agreed with the on-field call of try. Harry Smith’s kick bounced out off the post, 2-4 Wigan led.

With seventeen minutes to go, Saints lost Percival to a HIA following a high shot from Liam Byrne. After initially not awarding anything, referee Chris Kendall sent Byrne off for the incident. Percival failed his HIA and will also miss next weeks trip to Catalans.

Saints tried to move the ball through the hands on the last tackle as we moved into Wigan’s half. Jack Welsby’s cut-out pass to Tommy Makinson was juggled into touch though.

With less than eight minutes to go. On the last Saints opted to go to the short side as Dodd’s high kick was collected by Makinson in mid-air and he grounded the ball in front of the West Stand to send the Saints fans crazy. Lomax was unable to convert, 6-4 Saints led.

Saints sealed the win with 100 seconds to go. The ball was shifted from left to right, Welsby found Konrad Hurrell who powered his way over from close range for his 100th career try. Lomax converted, making it a two-score game, as Saints beat Wigan 12-4 in the derby to move top of the Betfred Super League table.

Match Summary

Saints Team: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Mark Percival, Jon Bennison, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Alex Walmsley, Daryl Clark, Matty Lees, Matt Whitley, Curtis Sironen, Morgan Knowles.

Interchanges: Sione Mata’utia, Joe Batchelor, Moses Mbye, Jake Wingfield.

18th Man: Ben Davies.

Tries: Tommy Makinson (72), Konrad Hurrell (79)

Conversions: Jonny Lomax (1 from 2)

Penalties: Mark Percival (1 from 1)

Wigan Warriors Team: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Adam Keighran, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Liam Byrne, Brad O’Neill, Luke Thompson, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Kaide Ellis.

Interchanges: Patrick Mago, Kruise Leeming, Tyler Dupree, Junior Nsemba.

18th Man: Harvie Hill.

Tries: Bevan French (56)

Conversions: Harry Smith (0 from 1)

Sin Bin: Tyler Dupree (29)

Red Card: Liam Byrne (63)

HT: 2-0

FT: 12-4

Attendance: 17,980

If you would like to download or print a copy of today team sheet please click here

Principal Club Partners

LWC Logo

Platinum Club Partners

Kinaxia Logistics logo
Elcons Logo
Astar Recruitment logo

Associate Club Partners

St Helens College logo

Official Club Partners

Box Holders